Monday, June 04, 2012

Forget the chainsaw... How about a bandsaw?

Back in the 90's, I did a lot of digging for facts about portable band-sawmills. I came to the conclusion that I didn't have the funds to buy one, nor a good source of trees, nor a customer base to support the cost of owning one. I also had too many costly hobbies already and I could barely afford to keep enjoying them.

Again, in the mid-2000s, I did the same thing and came to the same conclusion. It's now 2012. I now own 60 acres of trees, I'm building a house in the country that exists without siding, needs a wall finish and floor finish on the interior. A few weeks ago a storm blew over 6 or so large pecan trees on the property of an acquaintence of mine and he has agreed to let me cut them into lumber for only the cost of a few of the boards. Sounds like a perfect time to make the investment in a mid-sized bandsaw mill to cut lumber.

I have done about a month or so of research and after narrowing it down to three different models from three different companies, I have chosen to buy a TimberKing model 1400. I plan to order it today and expected delivery would be sometime in early to mid-July. I don't even have the mill yet and already on facebook there is a friend of a friend asking if I can saw some wood for him! Isn't that a blessing! I'll post more when the mill comes in!

Here's a link to a video that shows the same model in operation... TimberKing 1400 in action.

I'm excited! please fogive the cheezy music in the video...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home