Monday, August 22, 2005

Back in the air!

Went flying the MX on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. First time I've flown since July 4th weekend! I had neck surgery and have been recovering and they wouldn't let me fly! It felt really good to be back in the air. On Saturday, I flew to a field that I've been to before, the Fountain City Flyers radio control flying field in Autaugaville. It was about a 30 mile trip one-way. Very, very hazy, but plenty of visibility. When I arrived, only one person was there, Charles, who was working on the lawnmower tractor that they use to keep their field as smooth as a golf course fairway. We talked a bit before I left to come back. It was an uneventful flight and it was great to be back in the air.

On Sunday, my friend Don and I flew to his friends (and now mine too!) Chris' strip, about 10 miles away, Shown in the picture below. Chris' neighbor also has a strip that runs parallel, with just a hedgerow and a road that separates them. Chris just built a new hangar to store his Cub so he took us on the grand tour. Beautiful place.

Chris' field (upper side of the diagonal brown stripe) runs parallel to another strip with just a hedgerow that divides them.

Don's plane (right) and my MX.

It was so hot that we didn't stay long. We got back in the air just to stay cool, flying towards Don's house and his short field. That's Don's field, the little clearing with sandy patches on each end. It's about 700 feet long. If you look carefully, you can see a red speck in the upper right-hand corner. That's Don, buzzing his house.

A good shot of Don while we were flying.

Don flying low over one of our favorite low and slow spots!

Don just crossing over I-65 at tree-top level.

A cow trying to keep cool in our 95+ degree heat!

Total time for the weekend was about 3.5 hours and I flew about 120 miles. Work on the Phantom is continuing and I can't wait to fly her! I'll keep y'all posted.

2 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff Glen, this is what I'm talking about! Looks like you and Don had a blast!...

We oughta hook up and fly formation sometime all together...maybe SERFI?

Kyle

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Rusty UL said...

Thanks for the kind words Kyle. SERFI would be cool with me. It's all weather dependant, as you well know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home