Monday, January 17, 2005

No flying this weekend...but....

Well, the weather was pretty decent this weekend...highs in the mid-50s. I wouldn't have had any problem going flying, but the winds were a bit too strong. 10-15 knots with gusts to 25, or at least that's what the forecast said.

On the brighter side, the fitting I need to relocate my radio antenna came on Friday. All I need to do is make a bracket out of aluminum and buy the right length cable to run from my radio to the antenna. Should be pretty easy.

My new "lowered dihedral" (dihedral is the upward angle the wings form with the plane of the ground) heavy-duty wire set is supposed to arrive today. I'm sure I'll find time next weekend to install them. If the winds cooperate, I'll be able to fly and test them out! The lowered dihedral is supposed to make the plane a bit less stable and penetrate the winds better. I know it sounds like "less stable" is not a good thing, but the term is a bit misleading. All it really means in this case is that the plane will not try to return itself to straight and level flight as much after initiating a bank. It takes more attention to fly, but it will become second nature after a while. When I get some time with them, I'll post what my impressions are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home